Thursday, February 24, 2005

The times they are a-fading

From Bob Dylan's program notes on his upcoming tour:
"I know there are groups at the top of the charts that are hailed as the saviours of rock'n'roll and all that, but they are amateurs. They don't know where the music comes from....I wouldn't even think about playing music if I was born in these times... I'd probably turn to something like mathematics. That would interest me. Architecture would interest me. Something like that."
He starts the last leg of his Neverending Tour here in Seattle, March 7. I hope he has a chance to give some more context to the above statement when he arrives here. Like, which artists does he think are being 'hailed as the saviours of rock'n'roll'. I'm not sure it's an attack on artists today as much as an attack on the world we live in... in which case, it comes off as a 'back in my day' cliche which is unfortunate as it's the first sign that Bob fears he's becoming irrelevant.

In the meantime, here's a truly great live performance from 1975.

1 comment:

Shawn Anderson said...

Bob Dylan Live 1975"Tonight I'll Be Staying Here With You"
"It Ain't Me, Babe"
"A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall"
"The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll"
"Romance In Durango"
"Isis"
"Mr. Tambourine Man"
"Simple Twist Of Fate"
"Blowin' In The Wind"
"Mama, You Been On My Mind"
"I Shall Be Released"
"It's All Over Now, Baby Blue"
"Love Minus Zero / No Limit"
"Tangled Up In Blue"
"The Water Is Wide"
"It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry"
"Oh, Sister"
"Hurricane"
"One More Cup Of Coffee (Valley Below)"
"Sara"
"Just Like A Woman"
"Knockin' On Heaven's Door"