Friday, November 30, 2007

Knievel jumps the shark

It didn't take much living to see
that I was bound to leave the ground
It didn't take much living to see
that I'm only free when I'm flying
I've got a bone in need of breaking

- "Knievel" by Scud Mountain Boys (Joe Pernice)
I never thought pulmonary fibrosis would be the death of him, but Evel Knievel lived to the ripe old age of 69.

Like many of you, I had an action figure, lunch box and I can't remember what else of the man. Just saying his name takes me back to the whole build up to the Snake River Canyon jump, and all the countless stupid stunts I would try at home -- it's a wonder any of us survived our EK phase growing up.

There are so many songs that reference Evel Knievel, but 90% of them aren't very representative (even the ones by The Flaming Lips and Grandaddy don't make the cut). So I leave you with one poignant one, which I pulled a quote from above.

Song: "Knievel" - Scud Mountain Boys

And here's what had to be his worst crash caught on film (Caesar's Palace, December 31, 1967) which had him in a coma for 29 days.

No comments: