Friday, May 01, 2009

That's Really Super, Supergirl

It's a pulpy geektastic twofer this weekend, as X-Men Origins: Wolverine hits theaters today and it's Free Comic Book Day on Saturday. It also makes for a lame excuse to put together a gallery of female superheroes, now up over at film.com.

It's an extensive list, with over 40 entries, but I still feel like I'm missing a couple. Can you think of any more? I've got five different iterations of Catwoman*, three of Batgirl, and two of both Supergirl and Sheena (Queen of the scantily clad Jungle).

*Most folks have a favorite and I guess mine would be the first depiction I saw, Lee Meriweather, from the 1966 movie based on the classic TV series.

But I think my favorite find is a shot from the kids live-action series Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, which was part of Saturday morning's The Kroftt Supershow, which I watched religiously as a child. The series featured one Deidre Hall as Elektra Woman, who was about to take off as Dr. Marlena Evans on Days of Our Lives. Like most Sid & Marty Kroftt productions, it was good, campy fun:



Superheroine songs:
"That's Really Super, Supergirl" - XTC
"Wonder Woman" - Elvis Costello
"Barbarella" - Bob Crew
"Silk Spectre" - Tyler Bates

PS - I'm quite fond of the Helen Slater Supergirl photo I've employed here, if only for the Popeyes Chicken product placement (LOVE THAT CHICKEN!), but it also allows for both the most necessary XTC of the title, and a chance to pimp out Eric Snider's great piece on the film (Eric's Bad Movies: Supergirl).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great writing and great picture. Thanks.

Watch Movies Online