IFC's Dinner with the Band premiered tonight featuring Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, and the kitchen was crowded. The episode featured a lot of tired-looking Dap-Kings standing/sitting and looking on as chef Sam Mason put together the *meal. I was kind of hoping for more energy from somebody on the set, but everyone looked like the morning after pulling an all-night set at The Bowery.
*Since my body has issues digesting any red meat, I can't speak for how mouth-watering the Sharon Steak turned out. But the red-eye gravy and Dap-Rings (beer-battered onion rings) looked deeeeelish. But... Decaf coffee grounds sprinkled on Onion Rings?
Sharon Steaks, Dap Rings and Red Eye Gravy + a Welcome Home Martini.
Music backing the episode was pulled entirely from the Daptone Records catlogue, w/ many songs appearing on their new compilation out today, Daptone Gold.
Playlist: Dinner with the Band Episode 1.01 (Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings)
1. "Na Teef Know De Road of Teef" - Pax Nicholas & the Nettey Family
2. "Montego Sunset" - Menahan Street Band
3. "Ataa Onukpa" - Pax Nicholas & the Nettey Family
4. "Make the Road By Walking" - Menahan Street Band
5. "Let Them Knock" - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings (performance)
6. "What Have You Done" - Naomi Shelton & the Gospel Queens
7. "Budos Rising" - The Budos Band
8. "100 Days, 100 Nights" - Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings
If you missed it, IFC is re-airing episodes several times during the week.
Previously; Ear on TV Calendar for this week featured a preview of the series.