Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Glee "Ballads": The Song Says It All

Up to now, Glee has sort of tip-toed around being a musical, keeping the songs primarily performance-based, with lyrical ties not overtly specific to the moment. "Ballads" is the first episode that really can't be called anything but a musical, with every song having overt literal meaning to the scene at hand. And if there was any question, Rachel set us straight at the end. "Just listen to the song, it says it all," she says before they launch into the overused (but still loved) "Lean on Me."

Speaking of "Lean on Me," I've always wished Glee would take more chances with it's musical choices, but time after time, they make the safest bet possible (although, I thought The Police/Gary Puckett mash-up "Don't Stand So Close To Me/Young Girl" tonight at least shook hands with bold). And since Glee: The Music, Volume 1 has done so well in the three weeks since its release, I don't imagine they're going to change that horse. This week, we're entering into Volume 2 territory, which I'd assume would take care of season one's soundtracks. Which begs the question: How many TV shows could release two soundtracks before Christmas, let alone in a season? Scroll down past the playlist for a list of songs on Glee: The Music, Volume 2 - on shelves December 8.

Playlist: Glee - Episode 1.10
1. "Endless Summer" Glee Cast (Lionel Richie & Diana Ross original)
2. "More Than Words" - Extreme
3. "I'll Stand By You" - Glee Cast (The Pretenders original)
4. "Don't Stand So Close To Me / Young Girl" - Glee Cast (The Police / Gary Puckett)
5. "Crush" (Jennifer Paige original)
6. "You're Having My Baby" - Glee Cast (Paul Anka original)
7. "Lean On Me" - Glee Cast (Bill Withers original)

The full track listing for Glee: The Music, Volume 2 (in stores December 8) is as follows:
"Proud Mary"
"Endless Love"
"I’ll Stand By You"
"Don’t Stand So Close To Me / Young Girl"
"Crush"
"(You’re) Having My Baby"
"Lean On Me"
"Don’t Make Me Over"
"Imagine"
"True Colors"
"Jump"
"Smile" (cover of Lily Allen)
"Smile" (cover of Charlie Chaplin)
"And I Am Telling You I’m Not Going"
"Don’t Rain On My Parade"
"You Can’t Always Get What You Want"
"My Life Would Suck Without You"

Previously: "Wheels" (Episode 1.09)

2 comments:

online pharmacy said...

Hi, listen, I'm pretty new on this blogosphere and Internet thing, so I don't know if there's a sort of "subscription" method that I can use in order to receive notifications of your new entries...? Thing is I enjoy reading your blog a lot and I'd like to be up to date with your posts!

Shawn Anderson said...

there's a 'subscribe' button on the right column that will take you to a place for options to subscribe to the RSS feed (click here). Or, if you're on Twitter, you can follow me there for updates.