Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Best Songs of 2011 -- as told to me by my 4-year old

In lieu of a New Releases post this week (the crop really didn't justify the effort), I'm tossing in one more 2011 wrap up, and this one is being written mostly around my 4-year old. My youngest, like many kids his age, LOVES music, with a stash of favorite songs to rival any teen out there.

Below you'll find the list of songs released in 2011 that were played most by my little man Z. For the first time, there are songs that he (and/or his brother) have introduced to me -- like Taio Cruz's "Dynamite" and Hot Chelle Rae's "Tonight Tonight," -- which is something I expect to be seeing more of going forward.

Playlist: Zane's Faves of 2011 (Spotify / Rhapsody)
1. "Dynamite" - Taio Cruz [mp3]: THE summer camp song of 2011, where kids changed the lyrics to "I throw my sandwich at the Subway guy, singing 'Hey-o, need more mayo."
2. "Party Rock Anthem" - LMFAO [mp3]: Was fave before the Chipmunks covered it -- became obsession afterwards.
3. "Gangsta" - tUnE-yArds [mp3]: Developed a dance to the song. Wish I'd shot some video since he's moved on from it.
4. "Pumped Up Kicks" - Foster the People [mp3]: It's a catchy song about a school shooting, so of course a kid's gonna love it.
5. "Witch is Witch" - Jonny [mp3]: A Scotland (Norman Blake of Teenage Fanclub) and Wales (Euros Childs of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci) summit produces great kids song.
6. "Nightcall" - Kavinsky with Lovefoxxx [mp3]: Thinking we might have to get him fitted for a scorpion-odorned gold satin jacket, and even when ketchup gets spill on it, the jacket remains on.
7. "Second Chance" - Peter Bjorn & John [mp3]:
8. "The Wall" - Yuck [mp3]: it's kind of cool (and eery) how closely my boy can match the vocals of Daniel Blumberg on this. I guess 90s-inspired slack vocals can sound kind of whine-y.
9. "Weekend" - Smith Westerns [mp3]: Technically, this was released as a single just prior to the year starting, but we'll it slide (he's 4!).
10. "Under Cover of Darkness" - The Strokes [mp3]: At least somebody was on their side this year.

No comments: