But don't go thinking the song's inclusion is purely promotional, as the lyrics reveal much about the episode:
"So affections fade away,
And do adults just learn to play
The most ridiculous, repulsive games?
On the faith of ruddy sons,
And the double-barreled guns,
You better hurry,
Rabbit, run, run, run."
This is all running it's course in the background, while at center stage, Taylor and Ryan deal with literature on a more conscious level. Taylor's ex (played with pizazz by Sleeper Cell's Henri Lubatti) is in town promoting a memoir written about Taylor (A Season for Peaches) which is described as Bridges of Madison County meets The Notebook meets... porn. When with her ex-husband, Taylor is revealed to be a French culture tour-de-force: poetry (Anais Nin,) philosophy (Sartre) and even politics (apparently lunched with Jaques Chirac.) All this has Ryan feeling understandably intimidated.Meanwhile, R&B singer Chris Brown is referred to as 'dorkalicious" (not 'darkalicious' as a couple websites misheard, nearly alerting the NAACP,) but he's certainly not acting-chopsalicious. One episode later, he's still stiff as a board. He sure can sing, though. And yes, that was Jason Schwartzman (Rushmore, Marie Antoinette) singing the close out song ("The West Coast.") Let's not forget he used to be in Phantom Planet, who perform The O.C.'s theme song.
The O.C. - Episode 4.10
1. "Turn on Me" - The Shins
2. "I Spy" - Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly (Video)
3. "I Ain't Losing Any Sleep" - The Sunshine Underground (MySpace)
4. "The West Coast" - Jason Schwartzman
Previously: Sinking Ship (Episode 4.09)
tags: music, television, soundtrack, the oc, the shins, chris brown, john updike, indie rock, rabbit run, books, anais nin, sartre, jason schwartzman
4 comments:
Thank you so much~
love your blog~
where can you get jason schwartzman's "the west coast"? i've been looking for it EVERYWHERE.
thanks!
I have no idea... my guess (and
I must emphasize the word guess) is if it becomes available sooner, it's on a compilation (one I haven't caught wind of yet.) If it's on a solo album it'd be much later, 'cause there's nothing on the radar right now for a full-length Schwartzman release that I see anywhere.
Schwartzman's recordings are now going to be under the moniker Coconut Records. You can find "West Coast" on his MySpace page under that name:
http://www.myspace.com/coconutrecords
Post a Comment