Night Music (1988-1990)
Stereophonics' latest release (Superman EP) has a great version of The Stooges' "I Wanna Be Your Dog" and it got me thinking about all the great versions of that song over the years... which reminded me of one of television's great moments. Does anyone else remember a television program called Night Music with David Sanborn? The show was put together by Hal Wilner and featured such a great eclectic group of artists who, as a highlight, would often jam together for a song. The highlight had to be Sonic Youth, The Indigo Girls, Daniel Lanois and David Sanborn playing the aforementioned "I Wanna Be Your Dog." Other truly great (and surreal) moments include:
- Sonny Rollins sitting in with Leonard Cohen and Was (Not Was) doing "Who By Fire"
- Nick Cave, Charlie Haden, and Toots Thielemans getting together to play "Hey Joe."
- John Cale, Richard Thompson and Shawn Colvin trading verses on Cale's dolorous version of "Heartbreak Hotel" with BJ Cole on pedal steel and Sanborn on sax
- Todd Rundgren, Ellen Foley and Taj Mahal performing a scene from 'HMS Pinafore,' with Sanborn, Pat Metheny, Christian Marclay and the Night Music band all dressed as sailors behind them.
- Conway Twitty singing "It's Only Make Believe" with The Residents dancing behind him in eyeballs.
Someone needs to pull Lorne Michaels (SNL, Broadway Video) ear and get him to release these on DVD... it's time has come.
Episode listings here, w/ songs performed (the ones I could remember/confirm.)
More about Night Music:
Was originally called Sunday Night... then became Michelob presents... Night Music
Ran for two seasons - 1st season on NBC ('88-'89,) 2nd Season in syndication ('89-'90)
Squeeze co-founder Jools Holland co-hosted the first season and went on to do his own late night music show for the BBC2 (Later with Jools Holland.)
Night Music references:
Sonic Youth's performance can be found on their video Screaming Fields of Sonic Love
Discussion of the series on Allaboutjazz.com
Referenced in this Austin City Limits piece (Cincinnati CityBeat)
John Hiatt's performance referenced here
tags: playlist, music, television, night music, david sanborn, jazz, sonic youth