Friday, August 12, 2005

Out with the old, in with the new

The RCA Lyra's Last Mix

So my old mp3 player (an RCA Lyra circa '99,) is now retired - or, perhaps, passed down to my wife, if she decides to use it. A little over a month ago, I received an iriver H10, actually won it for a playlist contest we had at work (Best Overall for Lethem's Fortress of Solitude.)

Anyway, now that's it's a month later, I thought it would be interesting to go back and look at what is on my old pal, the Lyra. It originally just held 32MB so I had juiced it up with a 192MB Flash card (that cost a pretty penny back then - more then the player) so it held about three full albums at 160kbps. I last loaded it just after Memorial Day weekend, so it's reflective of that a bit. Craig Finn's Lifter Puller and The Hold Steady were on there, along with May 24 releases: Stephen Malkmus, Shout Out Louds and Nikka Costa. A moment in time captured, and the tracks are all still there, until my wife decides she wants to use it and then it will all be erased. She might keep the Nikka Costa on there, but my guess is she'll load it with goodies like Buena Vista Social Club and Stevie Wonder's Original Musiquarium.

As for the iriver, it's been very good to me so far. After a minor firmware update, I've been uploading so much music on there... it never ends! The Rhapsody-on-the-go sub is pretty amazing. You can download nearly anything off of Rhapsody. There is usually a day-freeze on newly released albums, which I understand. Some albums, though, still aren't downloadable (I'm looking at you Okkervil River Black Sheep Boy) months after their release.

Tracks will expire after a seemingly random time period, but I'm looking at it as a blessing now as it keeps me rotating in new and different music (which I'd be doing anyway.) Latest additions include Koufax Hard Times Are In Fashion and The Capitol Years Let Them Drink.

tags: , , , ,

1 comment:

Shawn Anderson said...

The RCA Lyra Final Mix

* "Secret Santa Cruz" - Lifter Puller
* "4Dix" - Lifter Puller
* "La Quereria" - Lifter Puller
* "To Live And Die In LBI" - Lifter Puller
* "Sherman City" - Lifter Puller
* "Nassau Coliseum" - Lifter Puller
* "Plymouth Rock" - Lifter Puller
* "Star Wars Hips" - Lifter Puller
* "Roaming The Foam" - Lifter Puller
* "Let's Get Incredible" - Lifter Puller
* "The Swish" - The Hold Steady
* "Knuckles" - The Hold Steady
* "Hornets! Hornets!" - The Hold Steady
* "Your Little Hoodrat Friend" - The Hold Steady
* "Charlemagne In Sweatpants" - The Hold Steady
* "How a Resurrection Really Feels" - The Hold Steady
* "Pencil Rot" - Stephen Malkmus
* "It Kills" - Stephen Malkmus
* "Freeze The Saints" - Stephen Malkmus
* "No More Shoes" - Stephen Malkmus
* "Mama" - Stephen Malkmus
* "Post-Paint Boy" - Stephen Malkmus
* "Baby C'mon" - Stephen Malkmus
* "Very Loud" - Shout Out Louds
* "Please Please Please" - Shout Out Louds
* "100 Degrees" - Shout Out Louds
* "Hurry Up Let's Go" - Shout Out Louds
* "Till I Get To You " - Nikka Costa
* "Swing It Around " - Nikka Costa
* "Happy In The Morning " - Nikka Costa