Tuesday, February 28, 2006

If the USA doesn't bomb you

Play it: Morrissey " I Will See You in Far Off Places"
Stream the single "You Have Killed Me" at Myspace
Download: "You Have Killed Me" (scoops the podcast)
If your God bestows protection upon you
And the U.S.A. doesn't bomb you
I believe I will see you someplace safe

- "I Will See You in Far Off Places" - Morrissey
[The titles on these tracks are wrong (should be reversed,) for those who play it in Rhapsody.]

Recently, Morrissey claims to have been investigated by both the FBI and UK Intelligence (Special Branch,) concerning his threat to both governments. "They were trying to determine if I was a threat to the government, and similarly in England," the 46-year-old singer told NME. "But it didn't take them very long to realize that I'm not."

By the looks of the first track (from the forthcoming Ringleader Of The Tormentors) leaked earlier, "I Will See You in Far Off Places," Moz probably bought himself a ticket for (unwanted/warranted) cavity searches. In it, his lyrics align himself with the Muslim world - following the lyrics profiled above, religious chants are layered into the song, just in case we didn't get the idea.)

As most know, I'm as anti-Bush as they come, and am forever critical of US foreign policy, but these lyrics and the song itself feel very naive and misplaced. At it's heart, I imagine, is less a real belief then an intention to say 'bugger off' to America, and rile some folks up. In that I think he might be successful, although I wonder if the label (Sanctuary) is hesitant, as they've been militant about stopping the leak of the track, and the lead single title has switched to "You Have Killed Me," which is much lighter fare even considering the metaphoric title.

Elsewhere:
Stereogum Readers Suggest Fake Moz Song Titles

tags: , , ,

No comments: