Friday, September 08, 2006

Go ahead, beat my ass

Album: Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass
MP3: "Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind" (Matador)
MP3: "Beanbag Chair" (Matador)
Free Full AOL Album Stream

Worth buying for the title alone, Yo La Tengo's latest signals a slight return to their prowess of I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One. From the opening 10+ minute guitar jam of "Pass the Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind" to the straight pop of "Beanbag Chair" YLT let you know right off that despite the album and song titles, this ain't no novelty release. Throw in the falsetto soul of "Mr Tough" and already it's their most eclectic effort to date, which can make it difficult to listen to as a whole. Better in chunks, I say... unlike the title might suggest, beating your ass in and of itself isn't enough - other body parts need some beating as well.

Ladies, feel free to start with my ass:


More folks lining up to beat your ass (YouTube)

Previously
Gilmorepalooza (Yo La Tengo played "Beanbag Chair" on last season's finale of GILMORE GIRLS)

tags: , , , ,

1 comment:

Shawn Anderson said...

Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass

1. Pass The Hatchet, I Think I'm Goodkind
2. Beanbag Chair
3. I Feel Like Going Home
4. Mr. Tough
5. Black Flowers
6. The Race Is On Again
7. The Room Got Heavy
8. Sometimes I Don't Get You
9. Daphnia
10. I Should Have Known Better
11. Watch Out For Me Ronnie
12. The Weakest Part
13. Song For Mahila
14. Point And Shoot
15. The Story Of Yo La Tango