Thursday, July 23, 2009

CHBP: Main Stage Parkin'

The Capitol Hill Block Party starts Friday, and this year's lineup is obviously a reaction to last year's frat-friendly line-up. The last couple years for CHBP have been trying. Not only has the fest been overcrowded and congested, but the audience themselves were problematic. I even swore I wouldn't come back, but three things have changed this year that has me thinking that it will work.

1) The main entrance and main stage are no longer right next together (FINALLY).
2) They've beefed up the perimeter to keep folks from sneaking in, thus reducing the overcrowding factor.
3) The acts booked are not the kind that will attract that crowd. You know, the ones that came for just Vampire Weekend and/or Girl Talk (The Gossip probably come the closest of this year's lineup).

Related to #3, this year's lineup has some serious plums that I'm excited for. Also, for the first time in any festival going experience, I find myself parked at the main stage on my sked breakdown. There are a couple of notable exceptions, of course, namely THE BAND I MOST WANT TO SEE: The Future of the Left (playing at Neumo's, Saturday @9PM).

Then of course, there's the chance to see legends Sonic Youth and The Jesus Lizard, along with Built to Spill, Black Lips, Deerhunter, Micachu & the Pains of Being Pure at Heart.

Playlist: Capitol Hill Block Party 2009

Photos to come in the next week... hopefully I'll get a few like this one of Tim Harrington (Les Savy Fav) from last year's festival:

No comments: