Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Philanthropist "Nigeria II": Father, Son and Billy Mays

Same narrative construct this week, but at least the theme this time of fathers and sons tied Teddy's narration together with the story better. Was it just me, or did the first few minutes of the episode seem oddly cut? Maybe I missed the first minute in my taping, but it was a bit disorienting compared to previous episodes.

Meanwhile, having recently deceased Billy Mays as late night inspiration for Teddy also had me scratching my head. I guess it lead him to think of making the General a Billy Mays-like pitchman to the government, but seemed a bit of a stretch. Enjoyed the funeral scene at the end, though, using Ladysmith Black Mambazo's "How Long?" for the montage. That being said, one wonders if they (again) couldn't have found/utilized some music from Nigeria, considering it was the setting.

The Philanthropist: Episode 1.04
1. "Adouma" - Angelique Kidjo
2. "How Long?" - Ladysmith Black Mambazo

Previously: "Paris" (Ep 1.03) There's a place in France, where the women...

No comments: