Saturday, February 26, 2005

Your daily movement #2

From the bowels of the Prog Rock vault comes your movement of the day... Genesis:

The Colony Of Slippermen:
I The Arrival
II A Visit To The Doktor
III Raven



From the great Peter Gabriel-era album The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. First I have to ask, what's the deal with 'Slippermen'? Sounds like a very specialized shoe craftsman... 'I'm no cobbler, sir, but I am a qualified slipperman.'

The album's story is of Rael, a Puerto Rican punk in NYC. Simple enough... but somehow he ends up in the land of Slippermen, and is sick, and has to see a doktor (note the more exotic spelling of doctor-we are in the land of Slippermen!) Something the doktor does works because:
We've been cured on the couch
Now you're sick with your grouch.
I'll not risk my honey pouch
Which my slouch will wear slung very low
.
Ah yes, the infamous low-slung slouch of the Puerto Rican punk. This was the last studio album Gabriel did with Genesis before going solo, and it was the end of his Doktor Seuss on acid lyricism as well. He also never again wore a sunflower costume ("Buffalo Tom "Sunflower Suit") on stage. It's certainly easy to say now that he made the right move.

The superior Genesis example would actually be "Supper's Ready" with it's 7 movements, but the only version Rhapsody has is the live version from Seconds Out, with that cheeky chap Phil Collins on the vocals instead of Gabriel. And, to that I say no, Sir! Just bring out one of your slippermen and he'll do the trick for now.

Mars Volta and Your Daily Movement #1: Rush
Your daily movement #3: Yes
Your daily movement #4: Sonic Youth
Your daily movement #5: Emerson Lake & Palmer

1 comment:

Shawn Anderson said...

The 7 movements of 'Supper's Ready' are:
I. Lover's Leap
II. The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man
III. Ikhnaton And Itsacon And Their Band Of Merry Men
IV. How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
V. Willow Farm
VI. Apocalypse In 9/8
VII. As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)

My favorite is IV (for reasons I'll never tell.)