Courtney Cox and David Arquette dislike the paparazzi (with good reason.) They also apparently hate plot and dialogue (no good reason,) as their (Coquette Productions) latest venture on FX, the tabloid satirical series Dirt, is a stiff and obvious morality tale on the 'kiss and tell' world of the entertainment news biz.
Cox stars as tabloid editor Lucy Spiller, basically reprising her one-dimensional role as a pushy journalist in the Scream movie franchise. She can say she's not doing this show for revenge 'till she's blue in the face, but the pilot certainly suggests that it has at least something to do with it. The sex wasn't sexy, the dialogue was forced, and the overriding message that tabloids are bad was as subtle as a tank.
Oh, wait... this is supposed to be about the music, right? Well, thankfully, FX shelled out some bucks for a decent soundtrack to the pilot, so we at least have that to thank for. Tracks from great acts like Califone, The Rosebuds and Seedy Gonzalez make this list shine, even if they felt out of place with the plot (as much of the music did.)
Playlist: Dirt - 1.01 (Pilot)
1. "Danger" - Dark Horse Project
2. "What You See Is What You Get" - Post Stardom Depression (MySpace)
3. "Nowhere Fast" - Transientworld
4. "In This Kiss" - AM and the UV
5. "Sous Marine" - San.drine
6. "A Chinese Actor" - Califone
7. "Bird That Sings" - Seedy Gonzales
8. "Heaven & Earth" - Big Red Button
9. "4-Track Love Song" - The Rosebuds
10. "Bad Bad You, Bad Bad Me" - Stephen Fretwell
Hey, while I'm at it, here's next week's playlist... that way we don't have to watch it.
Bonus playlist: Dirt - 1.02
1. "Five Four" - This Side of North
2. "Welcome to the End" - Celldweller
3. "Voodoo Baby" - Hypnogaja
4. "Blue" - Shrift
5. "Follow" - Lenka
More: Hollywood gossip columnist says "Courtney Cox Dropped the Ball"
tags: music, television, soundtrack, dirt, courtney cox, david arquette, tabloids, califone, the rosebuds, seedy gonzales, indie rock, rhapsody