Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Swimming in it

Playlist: New Releases of Note (09.12.2006)

So while I've only posted on the new ones from TV on the Radio and Yo La Tengo, there were a ridiculous amount of fine releases dropped yesterday.

Here's the other releases that have peaked my interest (and popped into my Sansa:)

Junior Boys - So This is Goodbye Sounds so smooth and slippery I'm sliding down a warm waterslide right now just writing about it. Especially notable for the Sinatra cover ("When No One Cares")

The Rapture - Pieces of the People we Love More refined then their last punk-disco shaker ECHOES, The Rapture take off where James Chance left off years ago in the post-punk movement. Just because you're indie doesn't mean you can't dance.

Justin Timberlake - Futuresex/Lovesounds Don't stop dancing now... JT's serving up some more beats fer yr booty. Folks close to me know that JT represents a guilty pleasure, so it will come as no surprise then that I've already got his new one on heavy rotation. Want to know why? Just listen to "Lovestoned/I Think She Knows" and tell me you're not the least bit moved (and grooved.) Sexy is back (and vice versa.)

Viva Voce - Get Yr Blood Sucked Out Speaking of lovestoned, this one is already one I love to... well... you get the smoky picture. "From the Devil Himself" rolls one up for ya.

Mastodon - Blood Mountain Whoah... Mastadon ventures further into prog-metal territory, but leave a trail of bread crumbs so we can find them in Valhalla, or whereever it is that my bleeding eardrums are being kept. Features vocal turns from both Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme and Mars Volta's Cedric Bixler-Zavala... so Pitchfork should hate it (but I'm wrong... they loved it.)

Page France - Hello, Dear Wind This one really came out last year (to a chorus of indie pop sighs) but is finally seeing full reissue this week. Bright Eyes meets Of Montreal is a terrible cop-out description, but kind of accurate. Makes me close my eyes and smile, and that should be enough.

Other releases that are good to great, but I don't have clever things to say 'bout 'em right now:
Richard Buckner - Meadow, Starflyer 59 - My Island, Xiu Xiu - The Air Force, Brazilian Girls - Talk to la Bomb, Los Lobos - The Town and the City, and (local faves) The Purrs - The Purrs.

Previously:
Between Soda Lake and Butter Bridge (TV On The Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain)
Go ahead, beat my ass (Yo La Tengo - I Am Not Afraid of You and Will Beat Your Ass)

tags: , , , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Shawn Anderson said...

New Releases of Note (09.12.2006)

# "In The Morning" - Junior Boys
# "Get Myself Into It" - The Rapture
# "Province" - TV On The Radio
# "Lucky" - Richard Buckner
# "Sometimes I Don't Get You" - Yo La Tengo
# "From The Devil Himself" - Viva Voce
# "Lovestoned/I Think She Knows Interlude" - Justin Timberlake
# "Mic The Mic" - Starflyer 59
# "Boy Soprano" - Xiu Xiu
# "Jique" - Brazilian Girls
# "Chariot" - Page France
# "Memphis Moon" - Magnolia Electric Co.
# "Capillarian Crest" - Mastodon
# "The Valley" - Los Lobos
# "Vermicide" - The Mars Volta
# "She's Gone" - The Purrs